Tuesday 2 January 2018

Summer Learning Journey, Week One, Day Three, Task Two



Poetic Mihi

Ko wai e tū ake nei?
Who is it who stands before you?

Ka rere taku Kotoku ki te maunga tapu o Aoraki  
My bird flies to the sacred mountain of Mount Cook

Haere whakaroro taku Kotoku ki te awa o Mawhera Nui
My Kotoku then continues down to the river of Greymouth

Ki runga it tērā awa e rewa ana te waka o Endeavor
On that river is floating the waka of Endeavor

Ka waiata atu taku Kotoku ki te ingoa whanau o Harris
My Kotoku sings to the family of Harris

Ko Aleece e  tū ake nei

Ko Ngati Pakeha toku iwi

Ko Lexine toku whaea

Ko Phil toku matua

Ko Caitlin toku tuakana

Tena koutou tena koutou tena tatou katoa


Instead of using the template provided I decided to include my poetic mihi that I learnt at school.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Aleece,

    What a beautiful poetic mihi you have created at school! Thank you for sharing this on your blog. A mihi is a beautiful way of being able to introduce yourself and I'm glad to be able to read a little bit about who you are and where you come from.

    If you are up for an extra challenge, you could think about practising your poetic mihi, then recording yourself saying your mihi and upload it to your blog. I think it would be a neat video to have on your blog. It could be an introduction video for you to share with people all over the world who visit your blog. Let me know what you think!

    Keep up the great blogging!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tena koe Aleece,

    Wow, what an incredibly beautiful mihi you have shared with us. I love how you thought outside the box and used a template that you have created at school. Are your ancestors from the Greymouth area?

    I find it particularly difficult to create my mihi as I was born in England and my waka that I affiliate with is an airline. However, I have put together a pepeha and would love to share it with you so you have a better understanding of who I am.

    Ko Ruapehu toku maunga,
    Ko Taupo toku moana,
    Ko Waikato toku awa,
    Ko Tutahi Tonu toku marae,
    Ko Lafferty toku iwi,
    No England ahau,
    Ko Megan Lafferty toku ingoa.

    Thank you for sharing such a beautiful mihi. I have enjoyed learning more about yourself and the land that has significance to you. This is an incredible way to share your history and make whanaungatanga (connection) with people.

    Have an incredible day Aleece,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.